The College of Staten Island men’s soccer squad improved to a perfect 3-0 in CUNYAC play for the first time since 2004, cruising past visiting City College of New York, 7-1, as part of conference play at the CSI Soccer Complex earlier this afternoon.  CSI improved to 3-3-1 overall and 3-0 in the CUNYAC, while the Beavers fell to 2-7-1, 1-1, respectively.

The game got off to an auspicious start, as the Dolphins fell into a hole early.  Just 1:15 into the game, CCNY attacker Samuel Nkama drilled a shot from the left of goal, and even though CSI keeper Ahmed El-Ghareib seemed in position to make a save, the shot was redirected by a CSI defender in the box and was buried into the short corner of the net, staking the Beavers to a quick, 1-0, advantage.

The Dolphins wasted little time, however, getting even, as with 4:21 into the game, Alfonso Casteneda scored his first career goal after receiving a long lead pass from Paully Awad.  The freshman dribbled about 20 yards before launching a shot from the left that beat keeper Tayfun Kucuk to knot the score.  From there, the game stayed even, and although the quality chances were few and far between, both teams dominated action in stretches.  Finally, after making a late substitution, CSI’s Orsi Bermudez-Reyes tucked in a header on a Dong Luu corner kick set piece, and with 6:09 remaining in the first half, CSI had a 2-1 lead.

The lead then opened the game, and CSI waited for critical counterattacking chances to balloon the lead, scoring five goals in the stanza.  The first came at 52:11, as Castaneda signaled again, this time unassisted on a long dribble down the right side, lacing a low liner for a 3-1 lead.  In what was arguably the prettiest goal of the afternoon, Dogan Altunsoy scored from about 35 yards out and to the right on a long bending ball that beat Kucuk, who had to come out of the box to play the ball.

With 15 minutes remaining, CSI freshman Michele Kissi made an impact.  First he sent a cross that Bermudez-Reyes headed in for his second tally of the game and eight minutes later, he found Abraham Vivas on another cross that the junior shot in for his first career goal in three seasons.  Finally, with 1:32 to play, Kissi scored one for himself.  After being spilled in the box, he merited a penalty shot, and although Kucuk made an initial save, Kissi banged home the rebound to put the seal on the scoring.

For CSI, the seven goals were the most since scoring 10 in a game against John Jay College on October 15, 2005.  CSI held the final edge in shots 19-16 (12-5 on goal).  It also marked CSI’s first home win under first-year head coach Jose-Luis Rebay.

CSI returns to action on Wednesday, September 28, when they face off against Lehman College at the CSI Soccer Complex at 4pm.