The New York Needs You (NYNY) Fellowship is currently accepting applications. The deadline is Thursday, Feb. 20, 2014.
New York Needs You helps first-generation college students select, secure, and succeed in their careers. The Fellows Program is an intensive mentoring and training program where Fellows develop relationships with highly accomplished community and business leaders.
• Earn up to $2,500 in professional development grants
• Access two summer internships at prestigious companies and organizations
• Receive individualized support from a Mentor Coach
• Work with curricula that focus on life-planning, development of critical skills, public speaking, personal finance, written communication, relationship management, and interviewing.
Applicants must have a strong academic record, reflecting a commitment to hard work and excellence. The average GPA of the 2013 Fellows Class was 3.67, with accepted GPAs ranging from 3.0 to 4.0. In general, the lower the GPA, the more extraordinary the rest of the student’s background must be.
Applicants must demonstrate leadership and a commitment to communities in need through work experience, campus organizations, athletics, or other extracurricular activities.
Applicants must possess a passion for reaching their potential, and must have a vision for how NYNY can help them achieve their professional goals. The Fellows Program is open to students from all disciplines and interests.
Applicants must meet the following criteria to be eligible for the Fellows Program:
• Neither of the applicant’s parents/guardians have a bachelor’s degree (in any country)
• be a U.S. Citizen or Permanent Resident
• be a freshman attending a City University of New York (CUNY) four-year university or community college (freshman status is determined by having fewer than 30 credits by the application deadline)
• be in the process of obtaining his/her first associate’s or bachelor’s degree
• be available to attend regular Saturday workshops in Manhattan (workshops occur biweekly in Year 1 starting in June 2014; monthly in Year 2)
• be considered low-income by NYS HUD standards (information available on Website)
Students seeking assistance may contact Michele Galati, Fellowship and Scholarship Advisor, at 718.982.2301, or at email@example.com.