The Division of Student Affairs / Office of Student Life is pleased to share that in the fall 2019 semester, the College of Staten Island established a chapter with The National Society of Leadership and Success. In December, we inducted our first 50 students into NSLS. This spring, we are continuing with our second cohort. Robert King Kee, Coordinator of Student Leadership Development, serves as the Chapter Advisor, helping to facilitate the five-step leadership program on campus.
What Is The National Society of Leadership and Success?
The National Society of Leadership and Success is the nation’s largest leadership honor society and collegiate leadership development program. It’s the only program of its kind to have earned accreditation for its programming.
NSLS differentiates itself from traditional honor societies in that students must complete a step-by-step leadership development program in order to become inducted. The curriculum offers students the opportunity to develop many in-demand skills such as leadership, communication, and team building. They will also have the opportunity to complete additional online educational modules in order to earn credit for their work with NSLS.
1. Orientation: This is the first event on campus for new members to learn the steps of the program and the schedule of events for the semester.
2. Leadership Training Day: Members attend an interactive video training session where they identify goals and overcome obstacles.
3. Three Speaker Broadcast Events: Live-streamed events with leaders, celebrities and best-selling authors are scheduled six times per year.
4. Three Success Networking Team Meetings: Members are assigned to small peer groups and meet biweekly to set goals and hold each other accountable.
5. Induction: Members receive their Foundations of Leadership Certificate honoring their achievement and lifetime membership into NSLS.
Who Is Invited to Join NSLS?
Candidacy is determined by the local Chapter Leaders. For the College of Staten Island chapter, second-semester freshmen and first-semester sophomores with a minimum GPA of 2.75 were selected for nomination.
What Are the Benefits to Students?
- Scholarships and Awards: NSLS members have access to more than a quarter-million dollars in exclusive scholarships and awards.
- Job Bank: Members can apply to jobs/internships and have access to employers seeking to hire NSLS members.
- Partner Discounts and Benefits: Discounts on many retail goods and services.
- Custom Recommendations: Members receive personalized letters for graduate admissions officers and employers.
- Professional Communication Training: A professionally administered communication assessment tool (DISC) helps to identify communication style, recognize and appreciate other styles, and prepares how to interact effectively with others.
- Nationwide Network: Members will join more than a million members at over 650 colleges in a network of support and motivation.
If you are interested in learning more about the College of Staten Island NSLS chapter, please contact Robert King Kee, Chapter Advisor at email@example.com or at 718.982.3119.
By Carol Brower