The first observation of a marginal Fermi glass

PHYS.ORG – Researchers at University of Illinois, Johns Hopkins University, CUNY College of Staten Island and University of Colorado Boulder have recently used a new technique they developed to investigate the possibility that a strongly disordered and highly correlated and disordered electron system (i.e., phosphorus-doped silicon) could be mapped to a system of non-interacting and localized excitations. Their experiments ultimately led to the observation of a unique phenomenon that they dubbed marginal Fermi glass. Read more at Phys.org.

By Ingrid Fadelli, Phys.org

Jiazhuo George Wang Quoted in “Le Monde” Article on Alipay

Jiazhuo George Wang

Jiazhuo George Wang, Professor and Chair of Department of Accounting and Finance at the College of Staten Island, was recently quoted in an article in the French newspaper Le Monde on the financial impact of the Chinese pay platform Alipay (also known as Alibaba Ant), an application for payment, financial investment, credit, and insurance. Alipay is projected to attract $35 billion through a double listing on the Hong Kong Stock Exchange and the Shanghai-based New Star Market.

In his comments on Alipay’s impact, he said that “Before the emergence of online finance options in China, the market was monopolized by the big State banks, and the main beneficiaries of these funds were also state-owned enterprises. So, 80% of applicants, especially individual consumers and SMEs, were in competition for the remaining 20% of resources.  Many had to borrow on the underground finance market at an exorbitant cost: interest could reach 30% to 50%, compared to single-digit interest at state banks. Ant provided alternative financial options for these people.  It has had a huge impact on the economy!“

By Editor (translation by Warrick Bell)

Studying What Oysters Need to Thrive in Polluted Urban Waterways

SUM-CUNY – Eastern oysters were once an important part of the ecosystem of the Hudson-Raritan Estuary—the area where the tidal rivers meet the sea—but pollution and overharvesting have greatly lowered their numbers. A new study looked at how water quality and other conditions in rivers affect oysters’ reproductive health. The findings could help inform restoration efforts.

It’s important for people working on restoration projects to consider reproductive health if they want the oysters to continue producing new generations, the authors explained.

Allison Mass Fitzgerald, who completed her Ph.D. at The Graduate Center, led the study, which appears in Marine Environmental Research. Professors William Wallace (College of Staten Island, GC) and Chester Zarnoch (Baruch College, GC) were also co-authors. Fitzgerald now teaches at New Jersey City University.

Read more at SUM-CUNY.