The losing streak of the College of Staten Island men’s soccer program continued this afternoon at the CSI Soccer Complex after a 4-2 defeat at the hands of Farmingdale State College. 

Staten Island (0-6) was handed their sixth consecutive loss this afternoon in their home opener at the CSI Soccer Complex.  The men were dominated in the midfield by the opposing players which is the most pivotal part of the field.  Just when the Dolphins seemed out of it however, they finished the half strong with a goal by Ilir Papraniku, his first of the season, to tie it up 1-1 right before the halftime whistle.

The Rams (2-3) looked like the more determined team this afternoon as they dominated the Dolphins on the pitch.  Farmingdale brought wave after wave of attacks that the Dolphins defense were unable to handle.  The Rams were able to break through the Dolphins’ back line at the 31:23 mark when Victor Romero cranked one from 25 yards out which found its way underneath the outstretched Daniel Raffo to put Farmingdale up 1-0.

The Dolphins’ squad that stepped on the field in the second half couldn’t have been more opposite than the one in the first half.  The team in the first half looked hungry and determined whereas the team that came out in the second half looked drained which could be attributed to back-to-back games. The bright spot in this afternoon’s game was that the Dolphins were finally able to find the back of the net after a two game dry spell.

Farmingdale looked more energized in the second half, coming out and taking a 2-1 lead just three minutes into the second half. A loose ball from a corner kick found its way onto Richard Mastrangelo’s foot where his initial shot was blocked but buried on his second attempt. 

The Dolphins would have their fair share of opportunities but some miscues thwarted Staten Island’s chances. 

CSI would fall behind 3-1 late in the game after a counter attack mixed in with some quick passes found Sebastian Ramirez open in the box for an easy goal.  The Dolphins would climb back into this game when a ball would fall to the foot of Marcin Klim who drove home a hard low shot, giving the Dolphins hope.

All hope was dashed when just one minute later after the Dolphins fouled an attacking player 35 yards out which set up a set piece opportunity.  The Rams drew up the play and found the open man in the box who headed it home to extend the Rams’ lead to 4-2 and shut the door on any Dolphins chance for a comeback.

Despite the score line the shot totals were even at 14 apiece.  The Dolphins were unable to capitalize on their severe 7-2 lead in corner kicks.

The Dolphins return to action Wednesday here at the CSI Soccer Complex when they take on New Jersey City University for their final non-conference match before conference play starts on Saturday.