Newsmakers

Categorized | Newsmakers

Tags :

Classes Resume Fri. Nov. 2, Important Updates, Student Support Services

October 31, 2012

Campus Center at Night

Campus Center at Night

Please note the following important updates and contact information.

—Classes resume Friday, November 2, 2012. The College will be operating on a Friday schedule.

—The CSI Ferry Shuttle and Loop Buses will begin operating on their normal Friday schedule on November 2, 2012.

—View message from A. Ramona Brown, Vice President for Student Affairs regarding Important Student Support Services.

—Electrical power has been restored to campus and web, wireless, phone and email systems are operational.

—Updates will be provided via the College homepage www.csi.cuny.edu and email system. Should a disruption in these services occur, updates will also be available on facebook.com/collegeofstatenislandtwitter.com/csinewscsitoday.com and cuny.edu.

—The College’s emergency information telephone numbers are 718-982-3333 and 718-982-4444.

—As electricity supply on Staten Island remains unstable, please try to conserve energy as much as possible.

—Sign Up for CUNY Alert to receive text or voice alerts of emergencies or weather related closings via mobile or home phone and email.

By Ken Bach

Comment with Facebook

8 Responses to “Classes Resume Fri. Nov. 2, Important Updates, Student Support Services”

1. SIcommunity says:

This is ridiculous you can’t gave the extra day for those affected by the hurricane. Staten Island was hard and the community was devastated. Sorry, I forgot that Major Bloomberg.has a bigger heart then this heartless “college”. My heart goes out to those<3

2. Anonymous says:

Are you serious? WOW. You can’t even give an extra day off. People are still devastated and dealing with transportation and power difficulties. My heart also goes out to those<3

• Extremely angered. says:

How in the world do you expect anyone to be able to make it to the campus?!?!?!?!?! The public transportation system is still a mess, the subway, bus and ferry system are still a wreck. Gas is next to impossible to get, you HAVE GOT to be kidding me. Let alone the fact that some homes are still under water, or have been destroyed and people are trying to cope. I am still without power or internet and have intermittent cell-phone service. This is an absolute joke and I seriously hope that I will not miss valuable material covered Friday, because I for one will not be able to make it to campus. I am angered and at a loss for words. I assumed at the very least I’d have till Monday to try and gather myself and all the has been lost. Unbelievable.

3. Anonymous says:

Seriously, you’re having classes tomorrow? People are missing, people are dead, people lost their houses, there is no gas, but everyone has class tomorrow. Asking people to get to campus safely is crazy. The campus has car accidents on a regular basis on “normal” days. You are insane to think that it is good idea to ask people to go to class tomorrow. Even if people are able make it to school, its not safe to travel. Showing up for class is important to everyone, but not everyone can make it and by keeping school open is inconsiderate and a burden on people already suffering by potentially hurting their grades as well. Thanks CSI.

4. LARRY D NACHMAN says:

Perhaps I can help explain the decision. Although I am 10,000 miles away, my forty years at CSI did leave me with concern for the college. Just check the other CUNY colleges. Everyone opens on Friday. This decision was not made on Staten Island with awareness of Staten Island conditions. (The decision makers barely know that Staten Island exists.) This came from E. 80th St. and reflects the conditions on the upper east side of Manhattan. It also reflects funding and scheduling concerns. Based on my experience at CSI and as a life-long New Yorker, I would think that no one even consulted with the CSI administration. The folks at CSI just got the call and passed the word on.

I can’t be sure of what I have said, but it seems to me to be likely.This information is not going to make it easier for anyone, but I have always believed that it is a good thing to know the truth.

Emeritus Professor of Political Science

5. Too Funny says:

i completely agree with everyone’s comments. I only take classes tuesday, wednesday and thursday so this does not really effect me but i have friends who have class friday and saturday and when you cant get gas to go to school and the buses aren’t working how does the college expect you to show. I hate being absent considering my class only meets once a week that means i am missing an entire week of material, instructions, and lectures. On top of all that lets step back away from college life and look at real life, most people do not have electric, not to mention a home. Oh let me grab my books if i can find them in my flooded home in the dark and head over to campus.